Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Design Diva's FaceBook Group OBG Blog Hop

I know it's high time I dust off my blog here as it's been FOREVER since I got crafty. I've been so overwhelmed with a SERIOUS reorganization and purge of ALL my crafting supplies that until recently has been spread out between my bedroom, living room and god only knows where else.

I. Just. Couldn't. Function. Anymore.

Know what I mean? I'm still not done yet but I sure miss playing with paper and glue.

So today, I'm hopping along with the talented ladies of the Facebook DIVAs blogging group and forced myself to actually finish something! The theme of the hop is Oldies But Goodies (OBG). The rules are to create an item (card, scrapbook page, framed art, etc.) using at least 1 item in your supplies that you not used for 6 months or more. Join us every 3rd Wednesday each month for a blog hop.

You've arrived here from Maria's blog. If you've arrived here mistakenly and would like to begin at the very beginning, click on over to Carloyn's blog.

Here's my layout of my sweet little niece who is now almost 2 and half years old today but in this layout, this was her very first Thanksgiving with her extended family back in 2009.


I call this old school since I employed NONE of the trends of what's hot today, i.e. no banners, no cleverly placed mixture of strips of lace, patterned papers, border punched strips, etc. The funny thing is that I still like what I like. I can't tell you the last time I was able to reach all my embellishments that I've worked so hard on organizing into drawers and containers, all to be blocked by larger boxes stacked in front of them for years. Yes, I function really well in "organized" messes but I can't tell you how well I'm breathing now with all this space I've been creating for myself with this huge purge I'm undergoing.

I don't care that no one's using chipboard anymore, but I thought these little chipboard phrases were darling and the color was perfect to match with the Basic Grey Indian Summer floral print. Somehow I even found a glittery K & Co red chipboard "K" for my niece's name. I totally forgot about the Maya Road Sheers I used to love so dearly back in the day when they were all the rage. I decided to use one called "This month..." to document all of K's 6 month firsts.

Here's a detailed close up shot of my hand cutting. I still love doing that as it's a great way to tie in elements and color schemes of a page. Here I couldn't resist that vintage polka dot whispy flower from a Prima patterned paper to give this layout that features my baby niece a more decidedly feminine flair to it. I decided to add a few of those burgandy wine berry blossoms twiggy things from the BG Indian Summer patterned paper and layer it all on top of a felt Prima twig sticker I had laying around for hopefully a fall / autumn and yet girly feel.

Ha ha! What fun it was to pull out my mom's sewing machine to give it whirl!! I sewed the borders on the left side to give it some added texture. I can't thank my friend Kari enough for giving me her left over sienna ribbon that is so rich and silky. I thought it was perfect for this layout!

It feels soo good to be scrapping again. Maybe the next one I'll get with the program and employ lots of banners and textured strips of decorative media like everyone else is doing nowadays. But for now, it sure was fun playing with all my old toys that I've been stashing away as if I was going to take it all with me after this lifetime. ;-p

Thanks to my friends of the Design Diva's for getting me to actually take time to play and create.

Thanks for stopping by! Click on over to Angie's blog now.



"Treasure Always"
Paper: Bo Bunny, MM, Prima & BG Indian Summer PP's; Bazzil CS
Embellishments: Prima Felt Stalk & Flower; Maya Road Journaling Sheers;
Lil Davis Small Chipboard Phrases; K&Co Chipboard Glitter Alpha; Misc Silk Ribbon from my friend Kari
Tools: Fiskars Border Punch; Sewing Machine

16 comments:

Vicki said...

How beautiful!! So glad you pulled out the goodies and shared this layout with us! And your niece is precious! She will treasure this in years to come I am sure! Great "hopping " with you today! Blessings to you!

Dru said...

Good morning Ching - your niece is adorable!! And I love your layout. I'm a firm believer in using and making what you love regardless of the trends. Beautiful job. Hugs, Dru

Vicki said...

Might want to try this link for Angie...
http://www.angiesstampingspace.blogspot.com/

Barb said...

Ching, this is beautiful! As she gets older this will be one of her favorite keepsakes. I can tell it was made with lots of love. Gorgeous layout and colors. Truly unique and completely you!

Cindy (Stamp With Me Cindy G/Stamping Therapy) said...

So glad you hopped with us this month. Your project is stunning! I love all the "old school" elements. You have the supplies why not use them and you used them beautifully. Thanks for sharing.

Deb said...

This is beautiful and she is adorable! Yay for classic design! Trends are fun, but this is timeless!

Cindy said...

Awesome, Ching!! Love the layout and your neice is a doll!! Great cutting!!!
Glad to see you crafting again!!

Mary G. said...

So beautiful! The page AND your niece! Nicely done!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Hi ching! I just wanted to say thank you for your friendship throughout the dark times I've had. I just LOVE this! How wonderful!!! TFS!

Chrissy D said...

Ohh what a beautiful page! Absolutely beautiful details and your niece is a beauty

Cheri said...

I'm with you Ching! Who cares what's "in", let's use what we like! This is a fabulous page and your niece is a true beauty.

Kirei na Kami said...

GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS!! GORGEOUS!!! I love every stunning detail, and your niece is ADORABLE!!! Personally, I love that you created the way you wanted and didn't follow the trends. It is obvious you loved creating this beauty, and it showed in every lovely element. Yes, this was definitely created from the heart...and I'll take that over trends any day! Thank you for sharing your amazing creativity:o) You have awed and inspired me!!!

Hugs!
Carolyn

Kirei na Kami said...

Okay now...I LOVE your creations!!! I hope you are not going to make us wait another 3 months to admire your creativity;o) I am adding you to my sidebar so I can keep up with your latest crafty inspirations!!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Carolyn

Jenny B in Indy said...

Gorgeous!

pamselinski said...

You have a beautiful niece and your layout is absolutely stunning

Maria Matter said...

such a gorgeous LO Ching!!!
hugs & blessings