I remember hosting several large groups, in addition to participating in post 9-11 themed swaps. So that means I have tons of amazingly cutesy paper pieced firefighters, shaker box embellishments, photo mats, long borders, etc.
So, here's what I've created by just using cardstock, pp scraps and these themed stamps as these are the only patriotic stamps I own. Ink I used was SU Not Quite Navy. In some of these, I wish I had my gold EP and heat gun with me.
1. Starting off with one of my two favorites. This started off using a long 12 x 2 inch matted border. The gal was pretty darn creative with using skinny border stickers, skinny cardstock strips and punchies for her own embellished page border. I decided to cut off one end to use as a vertical left border on my stamped card, so got two cards out of this border. I added the bling which was yet another swap goodie. 2 swapped items used.
- Embellished 12 inch border
- Bling (Baggie of decorative embellishments was a category in the 9-11 swap I hosted)
2. This next one is tied as my favorite!!! I wanna keep this one for awhile! I provided the mustard colored folding card that I thought made everything else pop, and stamped the Love, Peace, Freedom. 2 swapped items used.
- Paper Pieced Shaker embellishment set of the firecrackers. I could kiss the gal that created this work of art. It's so detailed and well designed!
- Scallop Square Punch Art Journaling Mat (I'm still friends with the gal that made this. I'll show her this card; wonder if she'll remember making this back in 2004-2005?)
3. This one, I combined two handmade embellishments onto a triple matted journaling mat by placing it on a white folding card. Stamped sentiment words were split up since I didn't have room otherwise. 3 swapped items used.
If I could redo it, I would have place the phrases more towards the bottom right corner, but maybe the entire card's symmetry would have been off. Wish I had my stamp ma jig with me (no I'm not gonna buy the MISTI, no more expensive tools for me lol).
- Journaling mat - white cs on red cs on white star/blue pp.
- Embellished die cut stars on red cs.
- Embellished Shaker box using two die cut stars, wire and beads.
4. These next two cards were made using a set of 6 serendipity squares from the same gal. In one, I just added a piece of red card stock that was already torn and a piece of scrap metallic ribbon, and the other, I popped an embellished tag on top. On both, I used same sentiment stamp in different placement as space allowed. 2 swapped items used.
- 6 Serendipity Squares
- Embellished Tag
- Embellished flag Manilla Office Tags
- Star and Heart Punchies
- Themed Patterned Paper
6. I tried to emulate the design of my previous card using a different embellished border. I love the way this gal "strung" her star punchies on a softly colored border. I trimmed one side of her matted border with pinking sheers to add interest since the colors are a bit pale for my current needs. Tried to jazz it up with the star brads and themed USA ribbon, both of which are also swap returns. 4 swapped items used.
7. This next one uses a stamped embellished tag I made using just the script portion of the SU God Bless America Limited Edition stamp. I paired it up with another embellished tag made by someone else and matted it on a scrap piece of SU Night of Navy cs. 2 swapped items used.
8. All I did was provide the the Brilliant Blue folding cardstock on this next one and the stamped star shaped I Pledge of Allegiance image. 2 swapped items used.
- Stamped "God Bless America" with star eyelet embellished matted square
- Set of 3 embellished red die cut tags
This was fun to create out of this particular themed swap returns because it was designed so that the returns would be, in essence, a full kit with everything you would need for a few matching pages. Instead, I created, in many instances, duplicates of the same card designs shared above.
Re-purposing swap returns is giving me such satisfaction since I'm wasting nothing and it's going to a great cause.
I'll be at this task for months due to the quantity and variety of themes that I have in swap returns. If you have any worthy causes that would welcome donated handmade cards, please leave your suggestions in the comment section. Thank you!!
Stamps: Stampendous "Love, Peace, Freedom"; PSX Script "United We Stand"; Printworks Handwritten "United We Stand"; My Sentiments Exactly Pledge of Allegiance Star; SU LE God Bless America
Ink: SU Night of Navy